I graduated in Telecommunications Engineering from the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya in 2005. I received my MSc (2007) and PhD (2012) in Computer Science and Digital Communications from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). From 2006 to 2013 I worked at the UPF as a full-time researcher at the NetCom research group and as teaching assistant at the Department of Information and Communication Technologies of the UPF. My PhD thesis analyses drawbacks of the Spanning Tree Protocol and proposes a solution for extending its use to provider networks. In accordance to this work, I have strong experience in the areas of routing techniques, graph theory, network topologies, reconfiguration strategies and simulation modeling. I also worked as a researcher at CETaqua, a water technology centre, where I studied optimization techniques for leak detection and sensor placement.
Following there is a detailed list of research contributions.
WATER NETWORKS TECHNOLOGY
- E. Bonada, J. Meseguer, J.M. Mirats-Tur. “Practical-oriented pressure sensor placement for model-based leakage location in water distribution networks”, In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, New York, August 2014.
- E. Bonada, J. Meseguer, J.M. Mirats-Tur. “On the structure of the objective function for a pressure sensor placement optimization applied to model-based leakage localization in distribution water networks”, In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, New York, August 2014.
- J. Meseguer, J.M. Mirats-Tur, G. Cembrano, V. Puig, E. Bonada. “Leakage detection and localization method based on a hybrid inverse/direct modelling approach suitable for handling multiple-leak scenarios”, In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, New York, August 2014.
- J. Meseguer, J.M. Mirats-Tur, G. Cembrano, E. Bonada, “Optimizing operating rules of multiple source water supply systems in terms of system reliability and resulting operating costs: survey of simulation-optimization modeling approaches based on general purpose tools”, In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, New York, August 2014.
Participation in Research Projects
- EFFINET, Efficient Integrated Real-time Monitoring and Control of Drinking Water Networks, Grant FP7-ICT-2012-318556 of the European Commission, October 2012 – October 2015 (www.effinet.eu)
COMMUNICATION NETWORKS TECHNOLOGY
- E.Bonada, D.Sala, “RSTP-SP: Shortest Path Extensions to RSTP”. In Proceedings of the IEEE 13th Conference on High Performance Switching and Routing 2012, Belgrade, June 2012.
- E.Bonada, D.Sala, “Characterizing the Convergence Time of RSTP”. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing 2012, Barcelona, April 2012.
- E.Bonada, D.Sala, “Building Ethernet Connectivity Services for Provider Networks”. In Proceedings of the 28th IEEE INFOCOM 2009 Student Workshop, Rio de Janeiro, April 2009.
- E.Bonada, D.Sala, “On the Theoretical Bounds of the Spanning Tree Algorithm”. In Proceedings of Jornadas Telecom I+D 2008, Bilbao, October 2008.
- E.Bonada, D.Cavic, D.Sala, “Implementation of a L2-Bridge in ns3”. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on SIMUTools 2008, Marseille, March 2008.
- E.Bonada, F.Callegati, D.Careglio, W.Cerroni, M.Klinkowski, G.Muretto, C.Raffaelli, J.Sole-Pareta, “SCWS Technique for QoS Support in Connection-Oriented Optical Packet Switching Network”. In Proceedings of ICTON 2006, Nottingham, June 2006.
- E. Bonada. “Path Selection and Topology Protocols in Ethernet Networks”. PhD Proposal, Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, July 2008.
- E. Bonada. “Characterization of Spanning Tree Protocol”. Master Thesis, TICMA Master Program, Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, September 2007.
- E. Bonada. “Simulator for Optical Packet Switched Connection-Oriented Networks”. MSc Thesis, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, October 2005.
Educational Research Publications
- E.Bonada, D.Sala,”What does it take to adopt portfolio practices? The student perspective”. In Proceedings of Active Learning for Engineering Education Workshop 2009, Barcelona, June 2009.
- D.Sala, E.Bonada, “Building student engagement in active learning”. In Proceedings of Active Learning for Engineering Education Workshop 2009, Barcelona, June 2009.
Participation in Research Projects
- Organization of the International Conference ACM SIGCOMM 2009 in Barcelona. Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación, TIN2008-04945-E. (January 2009 – December 2009)
- End-to-end Ethernet Connectivity Services for Broadband Provider Networks EBPN. Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia, MICINN – TEC2008-05786. (January 2009 – December 2009)
- Prueba piloto para la implantación de un portafolio para el desarrollo de competencias transversales. Programa de Medidas de Calidad Docente de la UPF (Ref: 42 PMSIQD 2006-2007 1). (September 2008 – September 2009)
- Secure E-Commerce platform of multimedia CONTents over Heterogeneous Broadband networks (SECCONET). MEC – TSI2005-07293-C02-02. (January 2006 – December 2008)
- Grup de Recerca Emergent en Xarxes i Telecomunicacions (NetCom). Generalitat de Catalunya, AGAUR SGR2005- 00767. (January 2006 – December 2010)
- Projecte d’innovació docent de l’assignatura Sistemes de Radiocomunicacio-Sistemes de Transmissió. Programa de la Qualitat Educativa, UPF. (January 2007 – December 2007)
- e-photon one. The Network of Excellence. UE IST FP6-001933. (February 2004 – February 2006
Services to the academic community
- Local arrangements organization and volunteer at ACM SIGCOMM 2009 held in Barcelona (August 2009).
- Organization volunteer at IEEE INFOCOM 2006 held in Barcelona (April 2006).
- Reviewer in a number of national and international conferences and journals.
- Networks and services (2012-13): a course for first year students that teaches a “bottom-up” introduction to communication networks.
- Networks and services lab (2006-12): a laboratory for second year students where they get to practice with different network equipment like switches, routers, firewalls, access points, etc. The students learn the basics of inter-networking, VLANs, security, routing protocols, etc.
- Requirements of Telecommunications Infrastructures (2006-11): a comprehensive networking teaching module for fourth year students comprising diverse courses on traffic modeling, LAN/access networking, regulations. Focused on network providers area.
- Design of Telecommunications Infrastructures (2006-08): a comprehensive networking teaching module for fourth year students comprising diverse courses on MAN and WAN networking, radio-communications and traffic & network dimensioning and engineering.